Is your drain clogged? A clogged drain is a common headache that everyone deals with eventually. Whether you’ve got tangled hair trapped in the drain or any other debris, a clogged drain can be frustrating to deal with. Though sometimes an easy fix, how do we know when it’s time to bring in the professionals?
Even if a drain clog doesn’t look too serious, it can still be helpful to contact a plumber.
Air Tech of Houston AC & Plumbing offers Houston drain cleaning services to get your pipes back into top shape. Here are some guidelines to follow to know when it is time to call a professional.
DIY Tips To Try First
There are a few DIY fixes you can try before calling a plumber professional. Try these simple, affordable methods to see if you can resolve the clog on your own.
Remove The Clog
You can put on a pair of gloves and try to remove the obstruction with your hands as your primary line of defense. Old food, clumps of hair or debris may be found throughout this process — all of these things need to be taken out and thrown away.
This approach is typically the simplest and most efficient for clearing a small blockage, despite the fact that it may sound unpleasant.
You can safely pour boiling water down the drain if your house has metal pipes. Deeper-lying dirt may be moved by the power and heat of the water.
However, it should be emphasized that PVC (polyvinyl chloride) pipes shouldn’t be cleaned with this strategy. Boiling water can melt PVC — you can err on the side of caution by using hot water instead. During a thorough inspection, a professional can tell you which pipes you have if you are unsure.
Remove U-Shaped Pipes
You can take out the U-shaped pipe in the cabinet underneath the drain when your sink becomes clogged. Put on gloves and disassemble the pipes before attempting to push out any blockages. Have a container nearby to catch any possible spilled liquids! Put the pipe back where it belongs after cleaning off any obvious dirt.
When To Call A Plumber
Get expert help if none of the proposed solutions work (or if any of these methods fail). Many drain issues can be solved by simple pipe cleaning services.
To remove a serious obstruction during this process, a plumber may utilize a motorized auger or hydrojetter. An expert can also identify whether your drain clog is a sign of a more serious problem. Any of the following circumstances, in particular, justifies a full examination:
- Sewage Odor: It’s important to contact a plumber to snake your plumbing system as soon as possible if you have multiple backed-up drains in your home or if you smell sewage. The smell may be caused by a number of things. Particularly in the drains of your kitchen or bathroom sinks, it can simply be a buildup of filth. A build-up can be brought on by things like coffee grounds, fats, grease, personal care items and paper towels. The sewer system may possibly be to blame for the awful smell.
- Failed Plunging: You’ll need a plumber if using the plunger repeatedly doesn’t unclog the drain after you’ve tried it.
- Strange Noises: If your drainage system is making a weird noise, chances are you may need to call a plumber. Gurgling is frequently the first indication of a clogged drain. Such obstruction will result in a fully clogged drain if it’s not cleared. As the water slowly moves through the blockage, many air bubbles are released, which causes the gurgling sound.
- You Don’t Have The Right Tools: Even if you already have a drain snake, a plumber’s auger is more effective and can break through tough blockages.
- Standing Water Is Collecting: Make a plumbing appointment as soon as you discover any standing water in your sink, bathtub or shower.
Air Tech Is Here To Help
When in doubt, leave it to the experts! Your clogged drain can be resolved by Air Tech Air Conditioning & Plumbing’s plumbing services in Houston. Our plumbing specialists are available to help since they’re qualified, insured and certified. If you’re looking for the best plumbing service in Houston, look no further! Contact us today to schedule a consultation.